eSupport.com October Newsletter

From: eSupport.com Newsletter <newsletter_at_newsletters.esupport.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Oct 2017 04:13:34 +0000 (UTC)
eSupport.com | Monthly Newsletter | October, 2017 eSupport.com Monthly Newsletter

eSupport.com View Newsletter Archive Support
Monthly Newsletter
eSupport.com Products

Question and Answer
Our Dell XPS laptop running Windows 10 has a hidden problem that has led to blue screens, slow performance and freezing. I'm forced to reboot at least once a day. Dell Support suggested that I reinstall Windows 10, but I know that's tricky and I'd rather not risk losing our important files and photos and our many applications. Is there a way I safely identify and fix this issue, plus improve performance without having to reinstall Windows 10?
- Terry T., Williamsburg, VA

Whether you need to repair Windows, find and remove a hidden virus or malware, fix corrupt files or improve your PC performance, we recommend Reimage. This simple yet powerful app saves the hassle and risk of reinstalling Windows. Reimage's free scan will quickly and securely test your system for all sorts of problems. Next, Reimage will repair your damaged PC with patented technology that repairs your Windows OS with a robust database of replacement files. Reimage's patented technology actually reverses the damage done to your Windows operating system.

» Download Reimage

Please stop following me!!!! Why do I see the same ads regardless of the website I visit? How am I being tracked? How can I protect my online identity to stop such invasive behavior?
- Kathleen L., Amesbury, MA

The ads are just the tip of the iceberg, there's a much bigger and invisible threat you can't see. The fact is companies have been secretly watching nearly everything you do online for years. They then sell and share YOUR personal whereabouts and activity to others in order to influence your daily life and decisions. This activity is also called "Digital Fingerprinting". These online ID thieves know where the information is stored, and they want it. To protect yourself, we strongly recommend TrackOFF. In no time, TrackOFF prevents nasty data miners from obtaining and stealing information about your family (age, religion, work and school), your finances (income, debt, credit, loans, bank accounts) and web history (articles, videos, shopping). Try TrackOFF's free online scan to see the tracks you leave behind.

» Download TrackOFF

Why is the total space of the hard available on a hard drive less than what it is supposed to be?
- Peter C., St. Louis, MO

The biggest difference comes in the way that drive space is measured in the first place. Drive manufacturers measure drive space in decimal terms. For example, they call one gigabyte 1,000,000,000 bytes. Operating systems use binary terms, so Windows considers one gigabyte 1,073,741,824 bytes. So when Windows reports available space on a drive, the resulting calculation suggests that the drive is smaller than what is advertised. Another issue is that drive manufacturers measure the size of the drives in terms of TOTAL space, meaning every single bit on the disk. The problem is that you cannot store date on every single bit on the disk. Formatting the drive takes up some space and Windows takes up space as well.

Driver Tip: Stop Automatic Driver Updates In Windows 10

One of the Windows 10 related complaints we hear regularly is the mandatory delivery of universal drivers through Windows Update.

Well it turns out you can actually disable the downloading of these universal drivers in Windows 10 and avoid this issue all together plus it is very easy to do.

a. Click the Start Button and search for System. Click the Control Panel result - it should be the top one.

b. When System Properties opens up click on Advanced System Settings.

c. Click on the Hardware Tab (#1) and then click Device Installation Settings.

d. Click on No, let me choose what to do to expand your other options.

Once you click on No, let me choose what to do (Option #1) there are three other options to set. Option #2 continues to download and install the best driver software from Windows Update. Option #3 prevents the automatic install of driver software from Windows Update and Option #4 toggles the ability for Windows Update to download hardware related apps and other info from Windows Update.

If you opt to turn off automatic driver updates for your hardware that means you must manually find those updated drivers yourself from the manufacturer. DriverAgent is the perfect program to help you do just that.

» Perform a driver scan now!

PC Performance Tip: Clean Up Windows Fast

When computer settings are changed or when you install and uninstall software programs the Windows registry is altered. Such changes to Windows can negatively impact the performance of your computer due to old and corrupted files. If you ignore these problems, your system begins to bog down, run slow, possibly crash and become increasingly unstable. Take a minute to prevent this common PC problem today.

» Perform a PC performance scan now!

BIOS Tip - How to Set a BIOS or UEFI Password

A Windows, Linux, or Mac password just prevents people from logging into your operating system. It doesn't prevent people from booting other operating systems, wiping your drive, or using a live CD to access your files.

Your computer's BIOS or UEFI firmware offers the ability to set lower-level passwords. These passwords allow you to restrict people from booting the computer, booting from removable devices, and changing BIOS or UEFI settings without your permission.

These passwords are set in your BIOS or UEFI settings screen. On pre-Windows 8 computers, you'll need to reboot your computer and press the appropriate key during the boot-up process to bring up the BIOS settings screen. This key varies from computer to computer, but is often F2, Delete, Esc, F1, or F10. If you need help, look at your computer's documentation or Google its model number and "BIOS key" for more information. (If you built your own computer, look for your motherboard model's BIOS key.)

In the BIOS settings screen, locate the password option, configure your password settings however you like, and enter a password. You may be able to set different passwords -- for example, one password that allows the computer to boot and one that controls access to BIOS settings.

You'll also want to visit the Boot Order section and ensure the boot order is locked down so people can't boot from removable devices without your permission.

On post-Windows 8 computers, you'll have to enter the UEFI firmware settings screen through Windows 8´s boot options. Your computer's UEFI settings screen will hopefully provide you with a password option that works similarly to a BIOS password.

» Perform a BIOS scan now!

Tech Tip

Schedule Windows 10 Updates

Instead of getting blindsided whenever Microsoft decides to push out a patch, you can schedule timed restarts to install updates by going to Start > Settings > Update and Security > Windows Update.

Follow Us
Twitter Google+ Facebook

Quote of the Month
"If you don't like something, change it. If you can't change it, change the way you think about it."

- Mary Engelbreit

Sites of the Month

Fun Sites
Mental Floss
Mental Floss is a cool website which tells you the hidden stories behind the popular happenings around the globe.
Useful Site
Uncrate
This hot site hosts over 9000 products only for men. The products range from vintage motorcycles to jackets to Bluetooth earbuds. A very cool site to check out before your next shopping spree.

Did You Know?

North Korea and Finland are separated by only one single country.

Vocab Test
Tittynope

A small quantity of something left over.

Browser Add-On
Disconnect

Disconnect (Firefox, Chrome, IE, Safari) is a very powerful tool to prevent tracking cookies. This handy extension allows you to see, in real time, tracking requests sent by web sites.

SmartPhone App
Hopper

Hopper tells you the exact right time to book a airline flight.

eSupport.com Products

DriverAgent
eSupport UndeletePlus
RegistryWizard
BIOSAgentPlus

©2017 eSupport.com. All Rights Reserved. | eSupport.com, Inc. | 8540 Dayton Avenue Fort Myers, FL 33907
Technical Support: support@esupport.com | Customer Service & Orders: support@esupport.com

If you'd like to unsubscribe and stop receiving these emails click here.