eSupport.com November Newsletter

From: eSupport.com Newsletter <newsletter_at_newsletters.esupport.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2017 18:04:46 +0000 (UTC)
eSupport.com | Monthly Newsletter | November, 2017 eSupport.com Monthly Newsletter

eSupport.com View Newsletter Archive Support
Monthly Newsletter
eSupport.com Products

Question and Answer
My Dell Latitude notebook running Windows 10 with 8GB RAM and a 500GB hard drive is less than three years old, but seems like it's much much older. It seems to be slower by the day, takes minutes to boot up and will just freeze up for no reason. Even though I run anti-virus I'm concerned I have a nasty virus or even malware. I've tried some of tricks that I read about online. I don't trust these apps that say they will speed up my PC. Can you make a suggestion?
- Jules N. Brentwood, CA

Well, you're not alone. What you need to do is repair and optimize your Windows operating system. However, this can be a challenge for even an expert. This is why we strongly urge folks to use a safe PC diagnostic and repair program named Reimage. This easy to use program will save you the time and risk of reinstalling Windows. Reimage's free scan will quickly and safely scan your system for all sorts of problems, like corrupt files, a deep hidden virus, malware and even browser injections. After the scan, Reimage will repair the damage found on your PC with their patented technology that repairs your Windows OS with a robust database of replacement files. Reimage's award winning technology actually reverses the damage done to your Windows operating system.

» Download Reimage

My good friend told me about how her personal identity was compromised by on-line identity thieves. She explained how they can follow me using digital fingerprinting. Is it true that this happens to the majority of web users? And doesn't my anti-virus prevent this? Most importantly, how can I protect myself from this terrible invasion of privacy?
- Douglas M., Columbus, OH

Yes, your friend is 100% correct. Thousands of online companies secretly monitor close to everything you do online. This nefarious activity is known as "Digital Fingerprinting". The companies can sell and share your personal whereabouts and activity to others in order to influence your daily online life and decisions. They are experts that know where the information is stored on your system, and they want it. Sadly, anti-virus software does not help with this problem. To protect yourself, we recommend you use an app named TrackOFF. The privacy experts at TrackOFF prevent nasty data miners from obtaining and stealing information about you and your family (age, religion, work and school), your finances (income, debt, credit, loans, bank accounts) and web history (articles, videos, shopping). Try TrackOFF's free online scan to see the digital tracks you leave behind and protect yourself in minutes.

» Download TrackOFF

I get so many different opinions from so many different people that I thought you would be my final expert answer to this age-old question: Should I leave the computer on all the time or shut it off when not in use? Two computers are in question, one being my home computer with intermittent use daily, and the other is used about every two weeks on average?
- Mike R., Culver City, CA

It really comes down to your person preference. Don't worry about factors like if turning off the system too many times will hard the components. It isn't recommended, however, to leave BOTH computers on all the time. To conserve energy, power off the systems and unplug them when not in use. Personally, I don't like to wait for my system to boot up, so I rarely shut my system down. Instead, I have it set to turn off the display after 10 minutes of inactivity and enter sleep mode after 15 minutes. The computer wakes up much faster from sleep mode compared with a cold start, but the downside is it may be a little sluggish if lots of programs are left open. An occasional reboot solves that.

Driver Tip: Prevent a Driver or Update From Being Installed from Windows Update

Sometimes a Windows driver from Windows Update doesn't work right, and you want to roll back to the previous driver. The problem with that is that Windows will just go ahead and install that update again later. So what can we do?

Just uninstalling drivers or updates won't prevent them from being installed again. There's no way to "hide" an update or block updates from within Windows itself, but Microsoft provides a downloadable tool to do this. It's intended for temporarily hiding buggy or otherwise problematic updates while they don't work properly on your system.

Download and run the "Show or hide updates" troubleshooter for Windows 10 from Microsoft, which you can download here.

When you run this troubleshooter, it will search for available updates and allow you to "hide" them, preventing Windows from automatically installing them. In the future, you can run this troubleshooter again and unhide the updates when you want to install them.

» Perform a driver scan now!

PC Performance Tip: How Can I Speed Up My PC?

Do you wonder why your PC appears to get slower as you use it? Well, you're not imagining this, it's true. It's more of a Windows issue. Over time, especially while downloading and updating software and surfing the web, you involuntarily collect junk. This kills PC performance. Take a minute and run eSupport.com's free PC Scan and fix your PC.

» Perform a PC performance scan now!

BIOS Tip - Securing Your BIOS

Many people do not know it, but your computers BIOS can become infected with malware. The most famous was the Chernobyl virus back in the 90's. These days, there is less of a chance of this happening, but it is much better to be safe than sorry. There is a way to make sure your BIOS is secure and to protect it from any potential malware infections.

The first step in your safety plan is to protect your BIOS with an administrator password that must be entered before a BIOS update can occur. Boot or reboot your PC. While it's starting up, repeatedly tap the 'DEL,' 'F1,' or whatever other special key is required to launch the BIOS. This information is typically displayed onscreen during the boot process, although it might not be immediately obvious. This text, for instance, appears verbatim at the bottom of the screen for just a few moments after we start our computer.

Once your BIOS setup menu is loaded, look for the menu item that enables you to set up a password. There might be more than one. It may be listed as SET SUPERVISOR PASSWORD or SECURITY OPTIONS.

Select the menu item for creating the password and enter a password (usually twice, to verify what you typed the first time). If you think you might have trouble remembering the password later, as you'll access your BIOS infrequently, make sure you write it down somewhere.

Save your BIOS changes and your computer will reboot. From here on out you'll need to enter this password before any changes can be made to your BIOS, ensuring malware will have a harder time harming your PC.

» Perform a BIOS scan now!

Tech Tip

Duck Duck Go

Don't allow your browser to follow you online and track your behavior. Switch to DuckDuckGo and take back your privacy! They don't store your personal info. They don't follow you around with ads. They don't track you. Ever. Go to : https://duckduckgo.com

Follow Us
Twitter Google+ Facebook

Quote of the Month
"Things work out best for those who make the best of how things work out."

- John Wooden

Sites of the Month

Fun Sites
This Is Why I'm Broke
ThisIsWhyImBroke is an electronic magazine dedicated to 'unique window-shopping' and unusual consumer products.
Useful Site
Wonder How To
This site is a wonderful compilation of ingenuity, engineering and curiosity.

Did You Know?

A sneeze travels about 100 miles per hour.

Vocab Test
Xertz

To gulp down quickly and greedily, like a glutton.

Browser Add-On
Unshorten

This browser extension automatically expands a shortened link when you click on it. No need to copy and paste or right click. If a shortened link is detected, unshorten will expand the link and inform you of the destination. Unshorten also runs a check on the URL to see if it is known to be malicious and strips any known tracking cookies.

SmartPhone App
YouTube

It's an oldie but a goodie! See what the world is watching in music, gaming, entertainment, news and more.

eSupport.com Products

DriverAgent
eSupport UndeletePlus
RegistryWizard
BIOSAgentPlus

©2017 eSupport.com. All Rights Reserved. | eSupport.com, Inc. | 8540 Dayton Avenue Fort Myers, FL 33907
Technical Support: support@esupport.com | Customer Service & Orders: support@esupport.com

If you'd like to unsubscribe and stop receiving these emails click here.